|Location:||Central Washington University|
|Registration fee:||Thespians: $55.00|
March 18th evening only for National Qualifiers (Top 10%) who are auditioning for the state showcase! Audiences welcome if you are coming into town that night. Schedule coming in the near future. State Festival officially starts on March 19th.
REGISTRATION WILL BE OPEN FROM - FEB. 3RD - 11TH - REGISTRATION WILL ONLY BE OPEN VIA THE WEBSITE DURING THAT TIME!
Any late registrations will be charged a $100 late fee!
YOU MAY REGISTER YOUR SCHOOL FOR THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:
- Two play cutting(s) - these include teacher directed, student directed from a full length play a one-act play or an already performed musical. These cuttings will have a 50-minute performance time limit, this will include set up and tear down time. The musical WIPS will have a 20-minute time limit including set-up and tear-down.
- Musical cuttings will be performed in two different ways again this year. You may enter a normal cutting from your musical (for those who have already performed or are at performance level). These cuttings will be performed throughout both days of the festival and adjudicated. THESE MAY HAVE COSTUMES. Musical WIP (below) is for those teachers and schools who are currently in rehearsals.
- Musical WIP - musical cuttings that may enter under the Work-In-Progress area only. These cuttings may be up to, but NO longer than 20 minutes. You may wish to bring: a song, a dance, an acting scene, leads only, full cast, ensemble only - anything on or off book that shows a glimpse of what you are working on. You do not need costume pieces. These scenes will NOT be adjudicated. It will be pure fun and supportive from all of us. Great way to test out the voices, the dances and the script. ENTER ON THE REGISTRATION FORM UNDER MUSICAL WIP!
- Technical Theatre - A special session will be held for students who wish to showcase for adjudication in technical theatre. Each student showcasing in the area of technical theatre must prepare a portfolio that illustrates his or her expertise in technical theatre. Recommended content includes renderings, sketches, models, and/or illustrations of scenic or costume designs; light plots of shows designed; draftings, blueprints, and/or photographs of scenery or costumes designed/ constructed; and other evidence of technical theatre and design work. If you have had drafting, technical drawing, and/or visual art courses, include examples of work from those courses in your portfolio. If you are interested in stage management, publicity, or theatre administration, include production journals with your portfolio.
Each student showcasing in the area of technical theatre will be assigned a time to present his or her portfolio. The presentation to the representatives must include an introduction (name and school). The presentation to the representatives should be a concise explanation of the portfolio, not to exceed eight minutes.
- Short Film - New category for the state festival! Individual students may enter a short film to be adjudicated. All entries must be mailed to (Deadline, posted by Feb. 22nd):
8108 Run Dr. SE
Olympia, WA 98513
253 722 7773
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Entrant must submit a DVD with an original short film that is no longer than 5 minutes in length from opening title screen to final credits.
- Films must be of original content and may be collaborations between students.
- Music must be original or documented public domain material.
- Material created by students in this event that is deemed by the judge(s) to be obscene or disruptive may receive lower ratings or in some extreme cases may result in disqualification.
- SCORING: Superior, Excellent, Good, Fair
The following fees have been established for Thespians and Non-Thespians:
A REGISTRATION CAP OF $2,000.00 will go into effect this year for large troupes. If you are registering a large troupe, your cost will automatically stop at $2,000.00.
- $55 per Thespian
- $65 per Non-Thespian
HOW TO REGISTER/HOW TO PAY:
The registration deadline is midnight, Feb. 11th. There will be a fee for late registrations.
WHEN REGISTRATION OPENS, Go to the registration page and fill out the form - THIS FORM MUST BE FILLED OUT EVEN IF YOUR SCHOOL IS ONLY COMING TO PARTICIPATE IN THE WORKSHOPS AND OBSERVE THE PLAY CUTTINGS. (FILL OUT THE STUDENT NAMES WHO WILL PARTICIPATE IN WORKSHOPS AND THROUGH OBSERVATION). Once you have registered, we will email you final instructions during the WASL week.
MAKE PURCHASE ORDERS/CHECKS OUT TO: WASHINGTON STATE THESPIANS. YOU MUST BRING WITH YOU TO THE REGISTRATION TABLE, YOUR P.O. FORM/NUMBER OR CHECK. NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED AFTER MARCH 19TH. IF YOU WISH TO MAIL IT PRIOR TO THE CONFERENCE, THE ADDRESS IS:
WASHINGTON STATE THESPIANS
C/O BETH ORME,
ROOSEVELT HIGH SCHOOL
1410 NE 66th Street
SEATTLE, WA 98115
SPECIAL GUEST CLINICIANS: INFO COMING SOON
A full list of workshops is coming soon!
Audition Form | Instructions
We are giving two $1,000.00 scholarships to students who will major in Theatre at college. The scholarships will be granted through an on-site audition/interview.
DUE DATE: Postmarked by March 5th